Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Book Review: Sweet Filthy Boy by Christina Lauren


Title: Sweet Filthy Boy (Wild Seasons #1)
Author: Christina Lauren
Published: May 13th, 2014
Publisher: Gallery Books
Add to Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon |  Kobo | Indigo | B&N | Audible
Synopsis: Mia Holland just graduated from college and is leaving for business school in the fall much to her father's pleasure but her despair. Her best friends, Lola & Harlow convince her to have fun for one weekend in Las Vegas.
Ansel Guillaume, a gorgeous French attorney, is also in Las Vegas with his friends, Finn & Oliver.
Ansel and Mia lose themselves in each other for one night, but their vegas hook up ends up in Mia making the wildest decision of  her life: she follows Ansel -her sweet, filthy fling -to France for the summer.

“I want to love all of my life as much as I love this night.”

I pretty much thought this book was close to perfect from start to finish. The only thing I might have been unhappy about was how I wanted more, more, and more about Mia & Ansel even after the end. Sweet, Filthy Boy starts off like several contemporary romances, with a hook-up in Vegas and a night that's kinda hard to recall because the character's were so drunk. Don't worry! It gets way way better! What happens in Vegas does not end up staying in Vegas because Mia ends up in France with Ansel for the summer!
Mia and Ansel are amazing together and reading about their journey as they tried to fit into each other's lives (set in the romantic backdrop of Paris!) made me so giddy. 




I just recently discovered that Christina Lauren is actually the pen-name of the writing duo; Christina Hobbs and Lauren Billings instead of just one author. They are most known for their Beautiful Bastard series which I have not read. 

Sweet, Filthy Boy holds very true to its' title in that its the perfect combination of sweet and filthy! The smut is so hot hot!
I don't know about you but I'm at a point where I'm tired of reading the same closed-off alpha male characters so I was entirely pleased with Ansel. He was sweet, caring, smart and FRENCH! Ansel didn't try to boss Mia around and he truly tried his best to earn his place within her heart. I also felt like Ansel was a very realistic character because he still has a job and a life which he didn't just drop because of a girl.

The book is set in France for a big part, and it was truly fun reading about Paris. Christina Lauren really painted the beautiful pictures within their writing very vividly.
As I said earlier, the book does have quite a lot of steamy scenes that are so hot. There was a part in the middle of the book where the main characters weren't dealing with their problems by speaking and instead were just ignoring them through sex. But instead in books where this would not be acknowledged by the characters, it is brought up by Mia and Ansel and they are aware of this flaw which helps them to work our their problems later.

Initially, I did expect this book to be just a light-hearted, humorous and romantic read. But it was that and so much more! I think the book had great character development, a truly engrossing storyline, sizzling hot scenes and an engaging writing style.

Let's Rate It
As usual, I don't like to rate romantic contemporary or New Adult reads at the same scale as others because I think they're for enjoyment and so they should be rated that way.
Characters: 4/5
Hotness: 5/5
Enjoyment level: 5/5
Re-readable level: 4/5

3 comments:

  1. I love the images you add to your reviews!!!! Brings so many feels (that Eiffel tower one ahhh so romantic). I've read Christina Lauren's Beautiful series. It's light and fun though my fav will forever be book 3 with Will. I heard that Wild Seasons will cross over with Beautiful in the later books so I really need to start reading this one! I like a good amount of smut, France, french-speaking men (or any foreign language) and most definitely character development. Sounds like this one's right up my alley. Wonderful review, Nazeefa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn! <3 Yes, this book was a perfect light-hearted and fun read. After reading it and hearing your positive thoughts, I'm also thinking of starting the beautiful series. :) Thanks for commenting Jenn.

      Delete
  2. Haaa! It's funny. My friend Andrea read the first book and DNF-d and then tried the book with the green cover and totally loved it so she tried again and now it's one of her fav series :P Anyhow, I'm glad that it's not a "we got married in Vegas" plot or something and I totally approve of France thank you very much :) *side note: can I just tell you how much I loooove that you give these simple edits, not castings or anything (though not complaining if they are in a review) because I think seeing the mood of the book or inspirational photos etc is better (for me, personally) than casting since people have so different visions of characters, you know? Anyhow, I like this a lot lot lot :)) WHAT??? I DIDN'T KNOW THEY WERE TWO AUTHORS HAHAHA. "Ansel didn't try to boss Mia around and he truly tried his best to earn his place within her heart." OMFG *swoons* I can't wait to read this scenery stuff and really, so glad you enjoyed it, Nazeefa. Thanks for your lovely review, gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete