Thursday, October 2, 2014

Review: The Hook Up by Kristen Callihan

Title: The Hook Up (Game On #1)
Author: Kristen Callihan
Published: September 8th, 2014
Add to Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon | Kobo 
Synopsis: The rules: no kissing on the mouth, no staying the night, no telling anyone, and above all… No falling in love.
Anna Jones and Drew Baylor meet in their history of philosophy class. She has no interest in football; he's the star quarterback. And despite their attraction to each other, Anna uses their differences to keep them apart. Until the hook up. 







Ugh, I know what you're thinking. That cover.... Yes, I hate it too. But it is the only thing I do hate about this book. Take away the cover, and you have a perfect, swoon-worthy, addictive read. 
If you enjoy college setting New Adult books without the overly tragic backstory trope, you'll love this!


Ok, so if you're like most people, you probably read the line: 
The rules: no kissing on the mouth, no staying the night, no telling anyone, and above all… 
No falling in love.
and immediately thought, "ugh, another player male protagonist" but oh boy, you're wrong. 

Drew Baylor surprised me and I think he'll surprise you too. This is the kind of light hearted New Adult books I like to read often, and I think Miss Callihan does a perfect job of using the old "hook up" cliche and turns it into something sweet and fun.
Anna, the female protagonist, is also strong and sassy albeit she does have her moments of confusion but they're resolved quite well.
I was hesistant going into it because I hate books where the main characters fall in love while just hooking up and not actually talking. All sex, sex, sex but nothing to actually warrant a real emotional connection imo. BUT it was not the case in this book. I felt the transition from pure lust to a deeper connection was flawless. I quite enjoyed it.

I would recommend this to you:
  • if you like books about sports players
  • books set in college and philosophy class
  • a male character who is not a player/manwhore



1 comment:

  1. Normally if there's a guy on the cover, I'm all over it. But this one's not doing it for me either haha. The story sounds interesting though! I'm glad to hear that the romance was developed well. I'm not a fan of the whole "I think I love you" when all they've done were hook ups. Like really? Lovely review, Nazeefa :)

    ReplyDelete